Life After Life

Life After Life - Kate Atkinson I read this book without having any knowledge of what it was about. It seemed to be on most of the "best of 2013" lists, and since I was aching for a great read after a stretch of "meh" books, I was just ready to see what all of the hype was about.

I was so pleasantly surprised at how much I loved this book. It was not only beautifully written, but so well researched of all of the idiosyncrasies of that specific period in those particular places. It was somewhat distracting how much knowledge that the author had about so many different scenarios. It was a breath of fresh air really.

I am glad that I took the time to read this gem and I could easily have given it five stars. The only reason why I did not was because her main character speaks seldom French and German and 80% of the time doesn't find a way to translate what she is saying and I found it to be utterly disappointing because I don't have the patience to look any of it up as it ruins the flow of the story for me. At first, I thought that since she didn't translate some of it that it wasn't that important until I came across some of the few German words that I do know to realize that it is very helpful. So, the distraction and frustration of this was my only disappointment.

I thought that the writing was clever and thought provoking. The book could have probably used one less rebirths, for lack of better word, because toward the very end I did get a little bored for a couple of pages but out of so many pages, that was nothing.

I would definitely recommend this book for those who like to ponder, "what if..." and for those who appreciate well written and researched novels.