The House at the End of Hope Street

The House at the End of Hope Street - Menna van Praag Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers of this book for the ARC.

Feminists Unite! That's what comes to mind with this book. It is definitely a woman's book, but I am sure some men would enjoy it too.

Alba is nineteen and her life is in a tailspin. For reasons that she cannot explain, she is drawn the the house at the end of Hope Street. It is as though the house is calling to her, and naturally she knocks on the door and is greeted by Peggy (the person in charge of the house).

It turns out that the house has some kind of magical abilities and heals the women who show up on the door step. They are offered to stay no more or less than 100 days. Many successful women such as Florence Nightingale, Agatha Christie, and Virginia Wolfe have been guests there and they even talk from the pictures of themselves on the walls.

I thought this was a good read, although I had trouble really connecting with any of the characters and I don't know why. Sometimes it seemed to me that the book went into too many directions with all of the characters which may be the reason why I didn't connect with Alba so well. But other than that, it was an easy and fun read and written very well.

I would recommend this book, but mostly to women, as it is targeted in that direction.