Ordinary Grace: A Novel

Ordinary Grace: A Novel - William Kent Krueger 3.5 Stars

I don't like so much when I am in the minority of rating a book, but I suppose that I am this time. Ordinary Grace is a coming of age book about a twelve-year-old boy named Frank who's curiosity for life and the happenings around him exposes the nastiness in the world to him a little too soon.

Because I just made a big move and have had my head in boxes for the past two weeks, I unfortunately have not been able to enjoy reading a book as I usually do. Due to these circumstances, I bought the audiobook.

I was very pleased with the audiobook and thought that the narrator was amazing. I have been known to stop an audiobook within the first chapter if the narrator didn't pull me in, but I will say that I was hooked from the first sentence.

Right up until 3/4 of the book, I was going to give this read a definite 4 stars. Unfortunately for me, it didn't come together for me toward the end. One reason is because when a certain person dies, there are suddenly suspicions from a couple of people in town and this lead me to believe that there was a bit of mystery to the book, but it totally didn't play out that way. In the end, it is just delivered in a way as in, by the way the killer was... So I didn't really get any joy out of knowing who it was.

I also didn't like how the main character set up early in the book what was about to happen, such as when he said the next death was going to be the hardest. I kind of like for things to unfold naturally so that way I can concentrate on the story and not what's ahead. I know this may seem paradoxical to what I stated about finding out who did it in the previous paragraph, but I mean this in the sense that I don't like to know of tragedies ahead of time. I like to be surprised.

The third thing that kind of ruined it for me was that I figured out early on who was responsible for what happened to this murdered person before they were killed (I'm trying to say this without having to hide for spoilers). It just seemed so obvious to me for some reason and the tough part for me was that it seemed that there were distractions to try to keep the reader from seeing this but it didn't work for me.

Because of these three incidents, it just made the last bit of the book just drag for me and it suddenly came across as having a mediocre plot. I just didn't get a feeling of suspense and found it easy to figure out the behind the scenes. Maybe this is purely by chance for me and I ruined it for myself.

I do, however, want to say that I thought that the writing was great. I liked how the author would set up a scene and I could sense actually being in the scenes myself. He was able to bring things to life by talking about the cracking of a pipe or a heavy rainfall. To say that I struggled the last 1/4 of the book doesn't mean that I didn't like it, because I enjoyed the majority of it completely. I guess what my review is stating is why I didn't give it 4 or 5 stars. It does seem that this book was fantastic to the majority so I definitely think everyone should read it.